Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Goodbye Mr. Wizard



Television's 'Mr. Wizard' dies at 89 - CNN.com

Don Herbert, who played Mr. Wizard in "Mr. Wizard's World" died today. I fondly remember watching the show with my sister in the 80's. In one episode, he showed viewers how to make a sort of green slime that seemed solid if struck, but would ooze through your fingers if interacted with in a more gentle fashion. It was simple to make, consisting mostly of corn starch if I remember correctly. My sister and I immediately decided that we shall make some, right then and there. We searched the kitchen for the corn starch and just as we fished it out of the cupboard there was a knock on the door. It turned out be our neighbor, about my sister's age, who had come over to borrow some corn starch so that she could make this cool slime stuff she had just seen on "Mr. Wizard's World."

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

I totally thought of you when I heard he died. I forgot all about the green slime. That was pretty funny. Aaahh, the memories. RIP, Mr. Wizard.

Becki Sue said...

Wow. I loved Mr. Wizard. I'm sad.

KP said...

Just in case you don't remember the recipe...

EASY SLIME RECIPE #1

2 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
Food Coloring

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add cornstarch, then food coloring while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Store in Ziploc bag.

KP said...

This recipe is from Impression5 Science Museum in Lansing. The coolest thing in Lansing!
MATERIALS:
Two mixing bowls
Measuring cups and spoons
Glue
Borax
Green food coloring
Water
1. Mix together 3/4 cup warm water, 1 cup glue and several drops of green food coloring in the first bowl.
2. In the second bowl, mix together 4 teaspoons borax and 1 1/3 cups warm water.
3. Pour the contents of the first bowl into the second, but don't stir. Let it sit for 1 minute, then lift the now-congealed slime out of the bowl.
4. Store it in a zip-top bag.

thew said...

Thanks for the slime recipe, Kim!

I remember going to the Impression5 museum with my school in 4th grade. They had a thing where you use this computer to design a car and then this plotter would print it up for you. My car rocked.

KP said...

Too cool! The first time I went there was when I was in 4th grade too! It is still, by far, my most favorite place to visit. I love taking my nephew any chance I get. Oh, to be young again!